23 August 2008

5 Straight Days No Electricity

It has been an interesting time. Because there has been no electricity I have been unable to update my blog so I will now attempt to explain the events of these last few days. The electricity went out Friday night and never came back on. The next day I was informed that there was an electrical problem but someone will come to repair it. That someone never bothered coming until Wednesday. Over those 5 days I became a pro at making fire and cooking over it. So although it was beyond frustrating it did prove helpful. There were so many things I really needed to do that required electricity. Finally, on Monday I went to a church member’s house and was able to use her electricity to get some things done.
Monday was such a bad day, everything went wrong from the biggest things to the smallest things and I felt so frustrated. Then I went to a small group meeting in Shituru, the mining area of town, and got so humbled. I met with a group of women who are all stuck with crazy drunk husbands and feel so trapped and hopeless. All I could do afterwards was beg God to change my heart and make me frustrated about how the devil is stealing, killing, and destroying the people of Congo instead of being frustrated about not having electricity.
On Tuesday I was able to go to another small group meeting in Pande the rich area of town and what a contrast. Everyone lives in big houses and wears nice clothes and seems to have it all together. I thank God that He has opened the doors for me to minister to both the rich and poor in Congo.
I also started teaching English to young adults. I’m helping a friend earn money and the plan is to teach him some financial planning because whatever money he may have today he won’t have tomorrow. It is also an opportunity to reach these young people for Jesus and I am hoping to use the class to recruit for a weekly Bible study. Please pray that I have wisdom in this new area. Those of you who know me know I’m not in any way a teacher nor enjoy teaching.
I have been trying to get my visa to stay here for 2 years but everything is going wrong once again. Please pray for me. I know I will be able to get it but the problem now has become the timing. If I can’t get everything I need by next week I will have to pay more money for another temporary visa so please pray that doesn’t happen. No matter how many times I say hurry, quickly, today, right now Congolese take there time.
Like trying to get my furniture, no matter what I try they won’t work any faster. The man promised me and put in writing he would have everything made in 2 weeks but of course he didn’t. The worst part is he would tell me I promise it’ll be ready in the afternoon every single day. Maybe next week.
My birthday was wonderful. I was able to preach at the church for the midweek service. Best of all after 5 days the electricity returned! What great birthday presents from Jesus.
The excitement of the week was brought down by disturbing news I received on Tuesday. The President of Zambia, Levy Mwanawasa, passed away after suffering from a severe stroke. He probably wasn’t the best president in the world, but he was the best Zambia has ever had. In Zambia when a president dies the country must hold elections within 90 days to choose a new president. In these circumstances anything could happen. Please keep Zambia in your prayers.
And thank you so much for keeping me in your prayers! Everyday is filled with challenges and I need God’s grace. Daily, I meet with people in difficult situations who need a touch from God. I desperately need God’s wisdom and power to help the people here. I have met with the youth leaders and we are planning some events so please pray they go well and young people get a revelation of Jesus. I was reading some of Charles Finney’s Systematic Theology book and came across these words which have become my prayer “We need to have Christ so revealed as to so completely ravish and engross our affections, that we would sooner die at once than sin against Him.”

No comments: