10 October 2008

delays

So It is Friday and I am still in Zambia. I got a phone call Wednesday night saying don't come. I wasn't able to understand why. Trying to understand swahili with a really bad phone connection is really difficult. I'm waiting for the email now with more information. I figure everything has a purpose but I am anxious to get back. I would hope you have already seen this on the news but knowing how American news can be I will inform everyone that violence has come to Congo once again. It all began August 28 and has been escalating since then. Nothing too serious just the normal rebel groups fighting as they have been since the war officially ended. They are killing people, stealing children, and of course Rwandan troops are coming over to "help" much to the dislike of Congo. Pray for things there. Don't worry about me because all of these problems are taking place in Kivu which is only accessible to Katanga where I live through airplanes so my area is still completely safe. Thanks for your prayers!

As for life in Zambia it is very different but very wonderful. I was able to sleep semi outside and watch the stars which were few because of the brightness of the moon. Thankfully there were few mosquitoes. After eating amazing Zambian food (Why can't the Congolese cook like the Zambians?) all the orphans gathered around and we sang songs while some of the kids played the drums. Then the little ones went to sleep and the older ones came outside and played with me and a girl named Elizabeth until "late" 9:30. They played with my phone and asked all kinds of questions and were such a joy. I'm not that great with kids but these orphans are incredible. They came from such sad situations and it is incredible to see what a little love can do!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are praying that you will be able to go back soon and safely. Can you post the news sites you go to to get the best accurate info about Congo and other African countries? I can't remember which one you use. Enjoy your time at home in Zambia.
Love and Big hugs,
Jamie

Anonymous said...

Do you know anything about Muzito who is the new prime minister in DRC? Is he good, bad, neutral? Do the rebels, UN, or government like him? Have you heard anything about the fighting from your friends over there. Keep us updated. We are praying.
Love, Jamie