06 February 2010

Back in Congo

I arrived at the Congo border and went through without any difficulties. I found a taxi and read a book as I waited for it to fill with people. I was surprised at how fast people came and soon we were off. Once we reached Lubumbashi we paid the driver. One guy in the back was in a drunken stupor. They tried and tried to wake him up and when they finally did it turned out he didn’t have enough money for the ride. I had asked the taxi driver to take me to a store first to buy some food then to the bus stop to catch a bus to Likasi. So I was the last one in the taxi with the drunk guy. The taxi driver went to the police station to try to force him to pay. I had to go in to be a witness. Chances are the police will threaten him with jail time and he will call friends and family and beg for the money which someone will probably give him. It all took time. Maybe 20 minutes but it put me behind schedule to arrive home before dark. I wasn’t able to get what I needed from the store (in Africa inventory management is an unknown concept). I did manage to get on a nice bus that filled quickly to go home with my luggage inside the bus which is important in rainy season. I arrived in Likasi around 7:45 got a taxi and went home only to realize there was no electricity. I used the light from my phone to get some candles and discovered there was water on the floor. I had anticipated this and had everything off the floor. So in the dark I was trying to sweep and mop at least a little bit put sheets on my bed and went to sleep. Luckily at 6am the next day the power came back on. I have got a lot of cleaning to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sheri's Congo "Adventure" indeed! How exciting... probably frustrating at times... stretching... but I do love a good adventure - something to laugh about, something to be thankful for.