03 May 2010

Africa is not homogeneous

I spent 2 glorious weeks in Zambia. It’s always hard to readjust to life in Congo. I find myself not knowing whether to laugh or scream. Everything is so backwards and wrong here in Congo and I think if Zambia your neighbor with some of the same tribes and similar geography etc can be successful what is the problem? Of course it is easy to identify what the problems are it is just difficult to find a remedy people are willing to accept.

The electricity has been off for 3 days straight. I haven’t experienced this in over a year and I’m not prepared. I thank God for friends. I emptied my freezer into theirs and show up everyday to charge my computer and phone. It makes the transition that much harder.

The language barrier is also hard to get used to. I hate not being able to express what I want to or knowing that I am articulating it like a 5 year old and so much of my meaning isn’t getting across (this is most frustrating when I am preaching).

It’s also hard to adjust to the culture. People don’t listen and they don’t keep a respectful distance. There are just more white people in Zambia and way more white people who interact with the people whether missionaries or aid workers. You are less of a freak of nature and more of a human being.

No comments: