06 October 2011

Hymns

I have a deep love and appreciation for hymns. I was raised in the modern worship music age back when the cool churches were rocking it with “He has made me glad.” Then I moved to Africa where we rocked it with “takwaba” but also “Yama, yama” (What a Fellowship”) and before long I knew far more hymns in foreign languages than I did in English. When I was a teenager Hillsong and Vineyard seemed so much cooler and more relevant than old hymns. As I grew up I started listening to more hymns- really listening to the lyrics. I was awestruck by how deep, how profound, and how beautiful the carefully crafted words truly are. Before long I was hooked. I couldn’t help but recognize that the modern cool feel good songs lacked a theological basis and became disgusted by how the songs were all about me and not so much about God.

In college one of my most hated songs was “Friend of God” because the whole song is me focused instead of God focused. Anyone who has experienced other cultures will recognize that US culture lacks respect. The whole Word of Faith movement where we demand that God give us what we want is unthinkable in most places because it’s so ridiculous. Who am I that I could ever demand anything from the God of the universe. Let’s just think about it for a moment. I support a pastor’s kids through school. I’ve made a commitment to him and I’ve never not made good on it. But that pastor would never dream of coming up to me and saying “Give me money for school fees because you have to!” instead he always comes in humility and asks for my help and he always says thank you. He recognizes that he doesn’t deserve my help but he gets it because of grace. The same is true with us and God. We could never deserve God’s blessings but only receive them by His remarkable grace.

So my next entry will be going through my favorite hymn stanza by stanza to show it’s depth, beauty, and power in understanding Christianity. Can anyone guess what my favorite hymn is?

No comments: