14 April 2008

Life is full of humerous situations and learning 2 new languages at once adds to the humor and confussions. The Swahili word for braiding hair sounds like the Tonga word for toilet. The word for sin in Swahili sounds like the word for Zambia in French. Swahili sounds hilarious. My favorite phrase is ukobongo You are lying because it sounds funny. I am starting to get a handle on the culture of the people which is exciting. I have played with kids, visited schools, helped the women cook for a conference at church, met with the Paramount Chief, and traveled to remote villages. I cant get over how beautiful Congo is.
I am begining to believe I will be able to conquer French and Swahili. It just takes time and more memorization than I ever thought I would have to do outside of school. When I met with the chief he kept stressing that I should learn Kisanga. When I would say something in Swahili he would try to teach it to me in Kisanga but it never stuck. Adding a third language is the last thing I intend to do. Especially Kisanga because I have not met anyone under the age of 40 who speaks it fluently. But the chief is really nice and helpful. He is excited about me being here to help his people.
I have started going to an English class for adults because Im trying to find people who want to learn English and are willing to help me learn French. The English teachers have never been around native English speakers so thier English is not very good. When the students found out I am an American they went crazy. To the Congolese Americans are the best people on Earth and for many it has been their dream to meet one. I am the only American in this city. They always ask what our food is in America and when I tell them we eat different foods every day they cant believe me.
The problem is they also think all Americans are rich and have to give them money. In Zambia everywhere I go I find begars but in Congo they are so much worse they are demanders. "You American give me money" is what they all say. I met with a church and they told me to give them money for a new roof. It was difficult to explain to them that our organization is interested in empowering people to make money for themelves and we dont just give away money. I also noticed by the offering they gave the church people are not tithers and it is difficult to help people who dont obey Gods word. It is also difficult for me because so many of these people live much better off than my friends in Zambia yet they always talk about how poor they are.
I have met a lot of people who work for World Vision and they are all wonderful. They have given me lots of information on prices and building. They have also told me they are willing to partner with our ministry to help people. Whenever they are visiting a remote place in the area they invite me to go along with them. Last week I visited a little place where the Methodists established a seminary 100 years ago. I met the man in charge of agriculture and he invited me to come back when he is training the new oxen to answer any questions I have and give me his insights into agriculture in this area. I thank God for all of the contacts I am making.
Everything is going well. I am constantly surprised by how espensive everything is here. Even basic things everyone in Congo buys are much more expensive than in Zambia. It is frequently difficult to live here but everyday it gets a little easier and God continues to confirm that he has already gone ahead of me to prepare the way because this is exactly where I am supposed to be.

No comments: