18 April 2008

The Princess Bride



I went to a Congolese familys house yesterday and was surprised to see them eating eel that mixed with having seen The head of development for our church Sammy Teteli who happens to have 6 fingers on his left hand made me think of the princess bride. I constantly find myself laughing at things but have no idea how to explain to the Congolese why especially since I would have to do it in French or Swahili.
Everyday I learn just a little bit more of both languages but it continues to be difficult. I continually find myself learning like I did in college for a test and I have to keep trying new ways of learning so I can use it in everyday life.
Things are coming together slowly but surely. I am compiling so much information about everything. It can be so difficult to just get information because of the language and culturual barriers. This weekend I will be at a conference for the churches here. I am excited about meeting people from all over the country and hopefully I will be able to visit new areas soon. It is just so diffciult because there are few roads and if their is a road it will take 3 or 4 hours to drive 60 miles so it isnt practical since sleeping on the side of the road is really dangerous. This country is so big and diverse I have so much to learn.
I am getting to know more of the young people in the church and realize so many of them will not be following God in a few years without some major changes. I have so many ideas to change that. Next week I am going with them to look for a good place to play sports. The idea is they can invite their friends and then people walking by will see a white person and want to see what is going on so we will get a bunch of people together some who would never go to church and after a game of football give a short lesson from the Bible and invite them to a youth service at church. I have a lot of ideas and I am excited to get started.
I am also speaking at church here in Likasi on Wednesday and I am really excited about that. You all know how much I love preaching. I also plan to go to Lubumbashi next week so pray I am able to get really good information about establishing a company in Congo! Thanks for your prayers!

No comments: