25 April 2008

Evangelism


The National Superintendent for our church has been sick so I haven’t been getting many opportunities to minister in churches. I’ve seen too many missionaries go into a country and start bossing the native people around and telling them what they should do and demanding opportunities. I wanted to be humble and not pushing or demanding. I’ve been praying that God would open all the right doors. Not too much has happened until this week.
On Monday the pastor took me all over town searching for the best place to play sports with the youth as a tool for discipleship and evangelism. We finally found a good place and then took a little bus back to the church. I began to talk with the people inside the bus trying to use what little Swahili I know. I asked them where they attended church and one of the guys said he doesn’t go to church. I invited him to my church and then we arrived at the church and I jumped out with the pastor. One of the guys sitting next to us who hadn’t said much had jumped out and followed us to the church where he told the pastor he felt such conviction when he was sitting next to us that he knew he had to confess to us that he has been in the sin of fornication and has to repent today and ask God to forgive him. We encouraged him in the Word and then prayed for him.
After that the pastor told me he can see I am anointed to evangelize so he asked me to come with him on Tuesday when he visits the sick people from church. I was really excited to go. We walked and walked and walked for many hours and many kilometers. We visited so many people with so many problems. It was so exciting to begin to encourage them about how God is our healer and you have to begin to expect that God will touch your family and you won’t be sick year round. I was shocked to find nice houses with expensive TV’s and other electronic devices but the family had no Bible. I asked why and they said because they are too expensive. That is so often the problem in Africa. The Bible is not nearly as expensive as the other things they had in their home but they would rather have a TV than the saving Words of God. We prayed for one baby who has a rash and none of the doctors have been able to help her and none of the medicines have worked. When we came in she was crying from the pain and as soon as the pastor and I touched her she stopped crying but the rash remains so please pray for her (Marie).
On Wednesday I we went to visit the mining community. There were lots of old Belgium looking houses from many years ago. I saw people carrying buckets of water searching for gold. I heard they do occasionally find some. Water was a big problem for them though. There were lots of 10 year old boys riding bikes or rather pushing bikes for long distances bringing water. Some women even collected water from the drainage ditches which are beyond disgusting. Almost everywhere I went women were asking for pray because their husbands are drunkards. We went to anyone’s house who we heard had a problem from lots of different churches and God continually gave me words fro them and scriptures to share. It was so difficult because I didn’t have a translator yet God anointed me and the pastor we had the same spirit and through my broken French and Swahili people understood and were so encouraged. I can see that many people just need some encouragement.
Wednesday night I preached at the church. I knew from my experiences on Tuesday that I had to preach about the power of the Bible. The pastor liked my message so much he told me next week I have to preach the same things 3 times for special Pentecost meetings at the church. The man who confessed his problem with adultery came to church on Wednesday and told me he was staying strong and asked me to please come to his church in Likasi. We are trying to figure out a good date now. I’m preaching at another church in Likasi this week then I will attend another conference and then preaching again. I’m excited about how God is opening all the doors.
I am now in Lubumbashi trying to get good information on how to live here permanently. Please pray everything works out. Saturday I’ll be visiting people in a new place to encourage them in the Lord. New people are coming to our church and they are excited. I’m beginning the sports ministry with the youth this Sunday so please be praying for that. Thank you for all of your prayers.

1 comment:

LaRee-the-teaching-machine-Croy! said...

Hey Sheri! PTL that I was able to get on your blog tonight!!! I have been able to read blogs all of three times since coming here so it's definitely a blessing from Him to me to be able to read what you're doing through His power. We serve such a good G0d. Thank you for writing. I'm very encouraged. I am pr-ying for you, Sheri.