08 May 2008

No Water, No Lights, No Keys - No Problem


Generally the water comes on everyday. It may stay on for 30 minutes but at least there is water. Some times it comes on every other day or at worst skips 2 days. It was out for 5 days. Everyday i prayed and hoped for water but nothing. It made everything more difficult and frustrating. Finally I found a member of the church who had water and we hauled bucket after bucket of water to my place. And the next morning at 6AM water flowed for hours and has been on every day since. All that hard work for nothing.
Pretty much everything about Congos infrastrsucture is horrible. The roads are almost noexistent. The electicity goes out everyday. The questions is when and for how long. There has not been a single day that it has stayed on all day. Last week the electricity was off every morning and that meant no coffee for every morning which was not good for me at all. So I finally bought an African charcoal brazer to cook on. I have started many fires in my life but with 2 major differences. First I always used wood and second I was in the bush where finding good fire starting materials was easy. I finally learned the system of using grass African brooms and wax candles to start the fire. Of course as things usually work many times right after I get the fire going the power comes back on.
Another problem I encounterd was yesterday someone came to take me into town early and being in a hurry I forgot that I had taken the key out of my camera bag and locked myself out. I remember thinking when I moved the key that it was a bad idea but did it anyway. Unfortunately I dont have any idea how to pick a lock and I had been given the lock with only one key so there was no spare. Thankfully I do know how to use a hack saw and that hack saws cut metal quite well so I bought one and in just a few minutes cut through the lock and was in my house again. It was a very foolish mistake which i have now taken many precautions against but I did discover that my door is not at all secure and am in the process of buying a better designed door.
So although the problems continue to come I always learn many things and can live a happy coffee filled life electricity or no electrcity.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're my hero. Especially figuring out your coffee dilemma.