15 May 2008

Pressing On

Last Saturday I went around visiting people in the cité the place where the poor people live in Likasi. We walked and walked even after dark to try to reach as many houses as possible. Finally the church administrator sadi we had to stop for the night but in the morning at 7 we would visit as many more peoepl as we could before church at 9. When i began doing evangelism with the pastor he warned me to not wear sandals but it is so hot here especially when I am walking countless kilometers during the hottest time of the day so I continued to wear sandals knowing from expereince that eventually cracks would develop in my feet causing pain. That day was Saturday. In fact the cracks even began to bleed as we walked all around the area. I persevered but i was far from excited to walk all around the next day. God helped me and after the first kilometer my body adjusted and it wasnt bad. The cracks have finally healed thank God.
The service was great! It is the time of Pentecost so I was able to preach about the Holy Spirit. The peopel loved it so much they begged to me to come back this week but I had to refuse because I have a different church I have to preach at. Everyone is so excited that i am here. I met with our chuchs leader and he was so happy about everything and told me testimonies of hos peopel have been encouraged and affected by my ministry here. When I think about the harvest fields it is easy to forget about how nice it is to have running water and all the other things I now live without.
I went to the Univeristy one day and started talking to the students of theology. I was shocked to find the youngest person in the program in 35. The college has thousands of students almost all are in their 20s so i was shocked. I thought maybe in was a requirement that you have already pastored or something but they told me there were no requirements. They said the young people dont care about Theology. Honestly i can say that has largely been my expereince. The people my age dream about nothign but money and will cheat and steal to get it like so many do here in this corrupt nation. They have so little knowledge about the Kingdom of God because they are apathetic at best about it. The exceptions I have found are so entangled in meaningless legalism they are just as ignorant of God as the others. My heart so desires to reach them before it is too late.
I am in serious countdown mode since I am leaving next Friday for Zambia. I am looking forward to a shower and not washing clothes by hand and speaking English! Being understoodand able to communicate is a wonderful thing. Thanks for your prayers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheri! I finally was able to read all your posts! It was so good catching up with what you have been up to. I have been thinking of you lots and my class and I have been praying for you. Praying you have safety as you return to Zambia and that God continues to lead and guide you! Love and miss you!! Reading your blogs made me wish I was there with you!

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Cracks in feet, observations on people, looking forward to taking a shower...I enjoy reading about these things. Man, Sheri, LIFE. What can I say? Love to you, you are in my prayers. I mean it.

Anonymous said...

WELL,I JUST FINISHED YOUR LATEST POST.WHAT A LIFE. WRITE SOME TABOO ON THE WALL ABOUT PEEING ON SAME.I BELIEVE SUPER GLUE AND/OR DUCT TAPE IS GOOD FOR BLEEDING FEET.A DUTCH OVEN WOULD BE GOOD WHEN CURRENT IS OUT,ALSO CHECK OUT A COMMUNITY SUN OVEN LIKE THEY HAVE USED IN ITALY AND THE MED. AREA FOR CENTURIES. MAY GOD GIVE YOU THE GRACE AND KNOWLEDGE TO CREATE ORDER OUT OF A CHOATIC SYSTEM.
LOVE PAW