25 August 2009

And the Ministry Begins

Wow how can I sum up the last few days? I preached on Wednesday but on Thursday, my birthday, I was able to preach/teach for the new intercession group. God has been preparing me for this for such a long time. I was told I would be doing it before I left for the US. Just as God tends to work things out, the church I was attending did a Wednesday study through Dutch Sheets book on Intercession. So I’ve been anticipating this sermon for quite some time. It was awesome. Such a great birthday present to be able to see God open people’s eyes and grab a hold of their hearts. Friday night was an all night prayer meeting that I had no idea would last all night. Its winter here and I was not prepared so it got a little cold but was crazy anointed. I know God is raising up powerful intercessors.

Sunday after church we went to Shituru, where we are planting a church. When I left we were meeting in a crowded tiny living room. We had been praying for Mimi’s husband who was a drunk and not a Christian. God spoke to him in a dream and he totally turned his life around and said God called him to fix up a room in his house for a church. It has been amazing to watch but I wondered is Edmund would keep the course. Once I get there we immediately start walking around visiting people. Every house there was a different sad story. Nearly everyone was sick, one lady had a miscarriage, and others lost their jobs and are barely surviving. It seemed like there was no good news. Then it was time for church and I saw that Edmund had indeed converted the room he used to use as a mini bar for himself and his friends into God’s house! It is so much roomier than the livingroom and all 20 of us fit fine. Then I saw a new man leading the service. The more he spoke the more I liked him. I could just tell he had a Pentecostal background which I easily relate to. It turns out he is a pastor but doesn’t have a church at the moment so he is working with us and hopefully will be the answer to our prayers for God to show us a pastor! Even more so he will be answering my prayers for a pastor who really believes God is powerful.

It has been the cry of my heart since I left Congo 6 months ago for God to show me how to communicate his power to his people. He has been giving me really great sermons. Some times I think the sermons he gives me are too good that I won’t be able to effectively describe them with my limited vocabulary. Well I randomly met this guys who works at World Vision and speaks English and he told me he lives in Shituru. I invited him to our church meeting and he came and offered to interpret for me. He did and said he would come every week! I preached from 1 Sam 11 and it says essentially no one had any hope until the Holy Spirit made Saul angry the people united together and God gave them victory. As I was preaching I felt a holy anger come over me for how the devil was abusing God’s people and defaming God of his power. After service it was time to pray for people and I prayed with more faith and authority than I have prayed with for a long time. The Holy Spirit was speaking to me and it was awesome. I feel so encouraged about the church to be. God provided a building, a pastor, and an interpreter. He kept Edmund on the straight and narrow and he started out my being back by doing a new thing. I am waiting in eager anticipation to see God turn every bad situation I found into a beautiful testimony of His love and power.

No comments: