21 August 2009

Settling in and Readjusting



The border is always a mad house. Lots of fights break out. I’m friends with the Congolese Immigration Officers now so it isn’t a problem for me. I changed money and when I was handed the stacks of Congolese francs I was dumbfounded. I had completely forgotten how to deal with their money. In addition to it being a different currency all the numbers are in French and they put the money is stacks on 25 instead of 20. I had to take a moment to think and remember each stack is 12,500 and I was then able to count it. It was my first indication that I had forgotten way too much. The second was when I was getting the number of my taxi driver and he replied quickly zéro quatre vingt et un trois cent nonant cinq... I had to stop him and go over each of the numbers one by one as I repeated them to him. That was the kind of thing I had been able to do without even thinking about it. When we reached Lubumbashi the road became bad so I was going to make conversation and ask him if they were finally going to fix the road, but I couldn’t remember the words. Then he said in Swahili they are fixing the road finally starting on the other side. I recognized the words as soon as he said them. So it’s still in my brain but I just have to bring it into focus.

I knew that when I got back my house would be covered in dust. I’m glad I thought to take some pictures before I started cleaning. For hours I just dusted, got rid of cobwebs, swept and mopped. Then came unpacking everything. It’s been 24 hours now and I finally feel on top of it but there is still much to be done. Everything is fine except I can’t get my generator to work. Please pray I can get it working.

Then when I woke up of course there was no electricity. I walked to the market bought charcoal started the fire and boiled water. An hour later I had coffee. After that I had to haul water and now I’m feeling a little bit sore. I also washed clothes, not something you would think of as a physical activity, but actually wringing out clothes really works on your forearms and finger muscles. I then had to go into town and by groceries. It’s always a tough choice to decide how much stuff to buy in a single trip. It’s over a mile walk to my house so with 30 extra pounds you start to regret that heavy thing you bought. Its amazing how much muscle I lost in the US, but like it or not I’ll get it back soon.

When I walked past the market by my house I was greeted by the normal array of languages “Goowd maning” “How a oow?” “Bonjour” “Comment?” “Bishi?” “Jambo” “Habari?” and I responded out of habit thankfully not forgetting any “Good morning” “I’m fine” “Bonjour” “Bien” “Bimpa” “Jambo sana” “Muzuri”. It was a good experience. There is nothing like being home. I’ve been preaching my heart out too which is great. In the US I had plenty of opportunities to share about my life and what God is doing, but I sure did miss really preaching!

No comments: