09 August 2009

Off To Congo

I will leave my parent's house on Thursday and hopefully arrive at my house on Saturday. Please pray for my travels as anything can happen on public transportation rides to Congo. I know my Swahili and French are still in my mind but they have been pushed to the way back so pray I can pull them out and communicate on the way. I will have 3 inches of dust covering everything in my house (I predict) so cleaning it will be fun. Pray the transition goes great and God does great things. Thanks for your prayers.

I have been in Zambia for a wonderful 2 weeks. It has as always been full of good stories. A team came from the Outerbanks of North Carolina and we headed to see the great Victoria Falls. I picked the lodge we would stay in basically because they had wireless internet but of course the day we happened to be there it was down and I couldn't get online. Then we went to a restaurant and the electricity was out for we could only get drinks. Then the car broke down on the way home. It all worked out in the end though.

Then we went out to Mapampi to our orphanage. There is no electricity and it is pretty primitive. There were lots of new kids to meet and each one has a special story and is so precious. Unfortunately the new ones are pretty afraid of white people and 7 at once was just way too much. I guess because I speak some Tonga or maybe it was the fun games I came up with using oranges they warmed up to me really quickly.

It's the end of the term right now so the kids each brought us their test scores because they were so proud of them A's and B's for all that I saw. Unfortunately, most of the kids are really behind in school. Some of our kids are 12 years old and in 3 grade. Please pray that the orphanage will find a teacher who can help the kids catch up in school. Right before I got back one of my favorites, Constance, was extremely sick. She is HIV positive and death knocked at the door for weeks but she was released from the hospital the week I arrived here. It was incredible to play with her and see the miracle her life is and the testimony of God's goodness. She has been through so much but God has never left her and now she knows that which is priceless. I can't wait to open an orphanage in Congo. It'll be amazing to see God transforms lives there in a similar way.

No comments: